Re: How to restore overwritten partion table?

On Friday 04 March 2005 13.21, Andreas Rippl wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:23:58AM +0100, Olle Eriksson wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 March 2005 09.47, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> > > Hi good people,
> > > A friend inadvertently made changes to his windoze disk (partition)
> > > during initial install of woody but quit afterwards before
> > > permanently writing changes to the partition table. However, the
> > > original OS can now not boot at all. Error on start-up is "No
> > > operating system found".
> > >
> > > How can I restore the original partition table so as to boot
> > > windoze 2000 and salvage whatever data he had on it?
> > >
> > > There was only one partition on disk which had been taken entirely
> > > by windoze. The partition was _not_ formatted after creation.
> > >
> > > Shall appreciate whatever help you can provide,
> >
> > Something like this in a monthly cron script or whatever may help in
> > the future if it would ever happen again.
> >
> > fdisk -l /dev/hda > ~/partition-tables.list
> > fdisk -l /dev/hdb > ~/partition-tables.list
> > fdisk -l /dev/hdc > ~/partition-tables.list
> > etc for all your disks.
> >
> > Olle
>
> \begin{pedantic_me}
>  fdisk -l /dev/hda > ~/partition-tables.list
>  fdisk -l /dev/hdb >> ~/partition-tables.list
>  fdisk -l /dev/hdc >> ~/partition-tables.list
> \end{pedantic_me}

Ah.. I just noticed my crucial mistake. Without the >> all but the last
partition table list would be overwritten by the last one.

> Very nice idea, promptly integrated....oh what a backup freak I am...

But oh how nice it is to have everything organized and prepared for the
day when disaster strikes. I never though I would ever have to use my
backups when I accidently deleted three months of e-mail from my IMAP
server. I wasn't able to restore all the e-mails but at least some of
them. Now I am making more frequent backups of the data.

Olle