Re: Accounting package

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 09:16:02PM +0800, Jianan wrote:
> I expect my needs to be like most others', that is why I am asking for the
> 'most popular one'.

Trust me, it's not that simple...  I looked at accounting software a
few months ago.  This package balanced your checkbook, but not much
else.  That one assumed you were selling physical goods.  Another
looked like it could handle anything, but you had to have an
accounting degree (or at least think like a genuine accountant) to
make sense of how to set it up.  I was just running my own little
one-man computer consulting business (something I would expect to be
pretty commonly supported) and ended up deciding that it would be
easier (and more fun, of course!) to just write my own instead of
trying to find something that would do what I need and do it in a
fashion that I consider reasonable.

So, again, what do you want to do with it?  Are you just looking for
something to balance your personal checkbook or are you going to run
a business with it?  If personal, do you want it to track where your
money is going by category?  If business, what kind of business?
Does it need to bill for time and/or materials?  Handle sales?  Etc.,
etc., etc....

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that