Re: Which is firewall generator suitable for new hand?

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:34:32 +0000 (GMT)
Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Tony Godshall <togo@of.net> wrote:
> > According to James Ng,
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > >     I am a new hand in linux system. I want to set
> > up a firewall in my
> > > debain in my home.  Which is the firewall
> > generator suitable for a new
> > > hand in firewall? Since the document about
> > iptables is too complicated
> > > for me, I could not use it.
> > >
> > >     Could any one give me a suggestion?
>
> I'm new to firewalls too. I installed ipmasq on my
> gateway box. Is this not right? It just "works" and
> I've not had a single nasty showing up on the logs of
> windows clients (with ZoneAlarm) that sit private side
> of the gateway.
>
> I guess I'm using ipmasq as a firewall...? *gulp* ?
>
> Is this open and vulnerable?

No. In short, it means the gateway is acting as a firewall for the
Windows clients, but the gateway itself is open to the world. (This
equals very poor security, to say the least.) You need a firewall on the
gateway machine to protect the gateway machine from the internet.
Otherwise you're leaving the drawbridge on your castle unguarded and
without a mote (even though it's in the up position).

HTH,
Jacob