Re: silly question

Paul E Condon wrote:
> zee-breh and zeh-breh. So this doesn't settle the issue. But in America
> it is generally accepted that one should pronounce the given name of
> an individual the way that that individual wishes to have it pronounced.
> By this convention, we should ask Debra, whose last name I do not know,
> how she would like to have her first name pronounced. It might be the
> way it is pronounced in Belgium. And then it might not.

Debra is not a common name in Belgium, but Debora(h) and Debby are quit
common. Both have a short 'e', as in the recommended pronunciation for
Debian. I don't think that's very relevant though, since most people
don't even know that 'Deb' from Debian is short for Debra. It's probably
the analogy with 'default' and others, as John Hasler points out.

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven