Re: kompiling kernel 2.6

Ernst-Magne Vindal wrote:
<snip>

Well......I'm confused, but mabye the line above is the thing I missed. I
have not seen the last option "-r /dev/hdax 2.6.xxx.

anyway, this time it did go my way exept for some minor adjustmens. I did
use the .config file from the current instlaled kernel-image but some of
the modules did not install. Modconf did it for me without problem.

so...what I did now was:

apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.8
cd /usr/src
tar xjvf kernel-source-2.6.8.tar.bz2
ln -s kernel-source-2.6.8 linux
cd linux
cp /boot/config-2.6.8-2-686 .config
make menuconfig
make-kpkg --append-to-version=.020305 kernel_image
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.8.020305_10.00.Custom_i386.deb

Okay, so far so good, and I tryed a reboot. That did not go well for some
reasons, one of them was probably initrd.img, the second was settings in
lilo.conf, "vga=0x317".
after tweeking lilo and compared loaded modules from the kernel-image
installed I did the last command:

mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.8.020305 -r /dev/hda6 2.6.8.020305

edit symlinks and lilo and rebooted along with some prayers.....

and, barabimbarabom, I was up and running:) great!

Last time when building costum kernelt I did:
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

So now, If I have to add or remove something from the kernel I can just
make the symlink,:
#make clean
#make menuconfig
#make-kpkg --append-to-version=.

One last thing, would it be a good thing to put the kernel on hold, and if
I do is it later possible to remove it?

I will now work on with the config of my Cisco Wlan adapter and see if I
can get it up and running.

Thanks for help :)

I would put it on hold. If you use aptitude you can do that by running aptitude and then going to the kernel you just installend and pushing =
This should take care of it. You can do the same to remove the "hold"

If you don't use aptitude, try this:
echo " <package> hold" | dpkg --set-selections

Regards,
Benedict

--
Benedict Verheyen                   Debian User
http://www.heimdallitservices.be    Public Key 0x712CBB8D