apm: overridden by ACPI???

On my debian unstable, laptop system, running kernel 2.6.10-1-686
when  try to run "apm -s" I get the error message:

apm: overridden by ACPI.
No APM support in kernel

modprobe apm gives:
apm: disabled on user request.
FATAL: Error inserting apm
(/lib/modules/2.6.10-1-686/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko): No such
device

apm was working great on this machine last week.  I backed down to the
previoud kernel (2.6.8) but no change.

Any ideas?
--

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                       - Manowar