Re: Kernel 2.6.11

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, John Hasler wrote:

> Rob Brenart (TT) writes:
> > Then the specific question is, when can I expect kernel-source-2.6.11 in
> > Sid? I'm having a handful of problems with 2.6.10, and wondering if it's
> > worth patching or going back a version...
>
> Just get the kernel.org source and use it.
>
> It's usually better to go back than forward, though, unless you know for
> sure that the new version solves your problem.

It has been disclosed on LKML that the vanilla 2.6 kernels are shipping
with known exploits.  This is not the case with 2.4.  I first saw this
claim on a Debian list and went back and looked at the LKML archives and
sure enough Alan Cox made such a statement on list, so unlike 2.4 vanilla
2.6 kernels may not be safe to use.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.