Re: Floppydrive won't work

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
Jim Hall wrote:

I asked about a similar situation on a Sarge install some time ago.
Good, specific responses. It turns out that the mount command checks a
file: '/etc/filesystems' (if it exists). Sarge apparently doesn't create
it. That's why mount is asking you to specify a filesystem. I created
the file with these entries:
vfat
msdos
ext3
ext2

That has to be bug.  Programs should retrieve supported filesystems
from /proc/filesystems.  On my system, here is what I have:
$ cat /proc/filesystems
nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   sockfs
nodev   usbfs
nodev   usbdevfs
nodev   futexfs
nodev   tmpfs
nodev   pipefs
nodev   eventpollfs
nodev   devpts
        ext3
        ext2
nodev   ramfs
        msdos
        vfat
        iso9660
nodev   devfs
nodev   autofs
        udf
        xfs
nodev   binfmt_misc
nodev   smbfs
nodev   rpc_pipefs
nodev   nfs
nodev   nfs4

The user or admin should not have to tell applications what kind of
filesystems the kernel supports, when the kernel will deliver the
information upon request.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr

Sorry for the delay. You're probably correct about this being a bug, there are still so many (sigh). I got the following output.

Jacob:~# cat /proc/filesystems
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc