Re: [OT] How do I look inside a .deb [WAS]: Re: Kernel panic on boot with kernel 2.6.10 (SATA SiL 3112A issue maybe)

On 01/03/05 02:45:42, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Andrey Andreev <andreev@cs.helsinki.fi> [2005 Feb 28 17:50 -0600]:
>
> > Hey, here is what is really interesting to me as someone new to Debian -
> > you seem to say that installing the kernel might run mkinitrd to create
> > the initrd for that kernel (which would be neat, and require me to tidy
> > up my /etc/mkinitrd). Now, I don't know if it does, but I'd like to take
> > a look into the postinstall scripts in the kernel-image deb and see for
> > myself. How would I look into a package? (checking preinstall and
> > postinstall scripts in this particular page, but generally I tend to
> > like to look into everything after a while)
>
> Install Midnight Commander and then highlight the .deb in question and
> hit <Enter> or double-click with the mouse.  mc will open the .deb and
> let you navigate the directory tree stored inside.  You can even
> highlight the INSTALL file, hit <Enter> or double-click and the package
> will be installed assuming all dependencies are installed.
>
> Midnight Commander--the Swiss Army Chainsaw of Linux administration!

Or more directly,

A deb file is just an ar archive. You need to install binutils and then run
ar x <deb file>
This will create three files in your directory.
debian-binary - this is just the version number of the deb package (which will

   be 2.0, don't remember the differences from 1 since its been ages since it
   was used)
control.tar.gz - the control files that are being run/used for installation
data.tau.gz - the package file tree (is opened under / when installed)