Re: backup web server - sync - transaction logs

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> >>So let's say both boxes are up and serving web pages.  And part of that
> >>includes a mysql DB where websurfers can input their names/email
> >>addresses.
> >
> Wow.  For a setup like this you probably want Postgres and not MySQL.

> My understanding is that there is an effort underway to get no kidding
> enterprise-level replication into Postgres and that they are having
> good results up to now.  Even to the point that some sites have it in
> produciton.  I don't know the details, but a Google search for postgres
> and repication would probably yield some good information.

you cannot "replicate" per se ..

	you'd need to merge changes from www1:db into www2:db
 	and merge changes from www2:db into www1:/db

	best way is to create a transaction log ... and replay
	the transaction log against each db to be updated

		- your db of choise must support "transaction" logging
		and reply

	- but one also has to make sure the transaction log
	doesn't have the equivalent of "rm -rf" for each db record
	which means if you're paranoid like oracle, you keep 9 live
	databases on which to record the transactions

- pretend it is a credit card transaction
	- it must be done securely
	- it must not duplicate the records ( purchases )
	- it must not drop the records ( not charge them for purchases )
	- it must have an audit log to show why the entry exists

	- it must be cloned into LA office and NYC office and london
	office

	- fun stuff

c ya
alvin