Re: Using fvwm-themes with Debian Sarge

Felix Karpfen wrote:
Currently, when booting Sarge (with gdm?) I get a screen that offers
the option to use "fvwm" as my windows-manager.  This would work OK -
if I took the trouble to configure it properly.

Previously - under RedHat 7.1 - I used to access "fvwm" via
"fvwm-themes".  I have installed the appropriate Debian packages:

fvwm-themes-extra_0.7.0-1_i386.deb; and fvwm-themes_0.7.0-1_i386.deb.

and can still load my desired format of "fvwm" via the console.

Can it also be loaded via the start-up screen that is booted by "gdm"?

I have since coming to Debian 5 years ago always used fvwm and since using (B)Ruby multi-user linux, gdm also.

I run Sarge and have dpkg-reconfigure gdm set to "gdm" instead of "xdm".

Then I only install fvwm and gdm.

Next /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Gnome line 131 has gnomesession="/usr/bin/fvwm".

Then every time gdm comes up and you log on (or you are auto logged on) your fvwm comes up as per /home/<user>/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc

That last one is important because fvwm being absolutely programmable it contains the way you want your desktop to look like.

One footnote: on the very first logon via gdm I have to set the session to "defaultsession" otherwise he just shows an xterm window. So there is a parameter still missing someplace but this is just the fisrt time.

HTH