Re: OT Open source Windows terminal server?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:17:52 -0600, Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> wrote:
> I'm no Windows guru (I've gotten pretty good at not doing Windows),
> but I thought the Win2003 Server version already had Terminal
> Services built in.  Have you tried hooking up to the 2003 server with
> rdesktop as-is?  Might work...

Terminal Services for non-admin stuff requires Terminal Services
Licenses.  It won't work the way you are suggesting.  The
administrative side of TS only allows 3 connections total (IIRC), so
that won't do what you want.

> If not, I think the earlier mention of Wine/CodeWeavers is something
> worth looking into if you can get your client to swallow the idea of
> running the Windows software on a Linux server instead of a Windows

I have successfully run QB on WINE, and I'm running Office 2K3 on wine
here on my desktop at work because I'm too lazy to boot into windows
when I want to open someone's Access file.  You may be very successful
running something like that.

If you want a TS-type thing, you might look into using NX -- like VNC
but a heck of a lot faster (And there is an open-source version), or
LTSP -- not sure how that all would work with QB, but it's an option.