Re: Routers and resolv.conf: [was: extremely slow to ssh out from my machine]

On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 09:30 +0000, Lee Braiden wrote:
> On Monday 28 February 2005 09:24, michael wrote:
> > the router (a D-Link) config again I see it has entries
> >  Configuration -> ProxyDNS   212.85.249.130
> >  Configuration -> DHCP configuration on LAN  Primary DNS=192.168.0.1
> >  Configuration -> DHCP configuration on LAN  Secondary DNS=212.1.130.32
> > which lead to a /etc/resolv.conf of
> >   nameserver 192.168.0.1
> >   nameserver 212.1.130.32
> >
> > giving the probs for ssh as before. Could some kind soul clarify to me
> > the diffs between the 3 entries in the router config and why the
> > proxyDNS doesn't appear in the resolv.conf?
>
> I'm guessing that the following is happening: your router connects to your
> ISP, and gets two nameservers from there.  It uses one as it's own primary
> nameserver, and the second as a secondary nameserver, of course.  However,
> the router also serves names by proxy, so instead of simply passing those on
> to computers on the LAN, it replaces the primary NS with its OWN address.
> So, you see the IP of the router, and the IP of the secondary nameserver on
> your end.  In short, it looks fine to me.

That almost makes complete sense to me (pls give me a pointer to more
about 'serving names by proxy')

the prob is with the above set up there's several 5s pauses for ssh (see
earlier/Jan msg) but if i put the proxyDNS into /etc/resolv.conf it
works fine (but then /etc/resolv.conf is recreated each boot...)