Re: Routers and resolv.conf: [was: extremely slow to ssh out from my machine]

On Monday 28 February 2005 09:24, michael wrote:
> the router (a D-Link) config again I see it has entries
>  Configuration -> ProxyDNS   212.85.249.130
>  Configuration -> DHCP configuration on LAN  Primary DNS=192.168.0.1
>  Configuration -> DHCP configuration on LAN  Secondary DNS=212.1.130.32
> which lead to a /etc/resolv.conf of
>   nameserver 192.168.0.1
>   nameserver 212.1.130.32
>
> giving the probs for ssh as before. Could some kind soul clarify to me
> the diffs between the 3 entries in the router config and why the
> proxyDNS doesn't appear in the resolv.conf?

I'm guessing that the following is happening: your router connects to your
ISP, and gets two nameservers from there.  It uses one as it's own primary
nameserver, and the second as a secondary nameserver, of course.  However,
the router also serves names by proxy, so instead of simply passing those on
to computers on the LAN, it replaces the primary NS with its OWN address.
So, you see the IP of the router, and the IP of the secondary nameserver on
your end.  In short, it looks fine to me.

--
Lee.