need help setting up remote printing using lpr/lpd under Sarge

I have a small home lan in which all hosts are declared in /etc/hosts
I want to make one of the hosts be a server of printing services, etc.
Two hosts on the lan are Macs. I am able to give them print service
using netatalk, and have had this working for a long time. Now I want
to provide print services to two Sarge machines. The server is also
a Sarge machine. I attempting to use lpr on all Sarge machines, and
magicfilter on the server. The printer is a HP Laserjet 5MP. lpr is
working on the server, but when I attempt to use it on a client host
nothing visible happens, and I find a message in /var/spool/lpd/remote/status:

waiting for cmn.lan.gnu to come up

cmn.lan.gnu is the fully qualified name of the server host. But it is
up because I telnet into cmn.lan.gnu and queue jobs to print locally
without any problems.

My /etc/hosts is (on all hosts)
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.11    big.lan.gnu     big
192.168.0.10    cmn.lan.gnu     cmn
192.168.0.12    gq.lan.gnu      gq
192.168.0.13    pauls.lan.gnu   pauls
192.168.0.14    carols.lan.gnu  carols

/etc/printcap on cmn is:
lp|hplj5mp|HP Laserjet 5MP:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj5mp:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
	:if=/etc/magicfilter/ps600-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

This was generated by magicfilterconfig.

/etc/printcap on big is:
lp|remote|HP Laserjet 5MP:\
	:lp= :\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
	:rm=cmn.lan.gnu:rp=hplj5mp:lpr_bounce:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
	:if=/etc/magicfilter/ps600-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

This was generated by magicfilterconfig and then
cleaned up slightly to make the rm and rp clauses
look more like stuff I found in Printing-HOWTO.
lpr_bounce is something that lprng seems to need,
but I'm using lpr(old) and, anyway, removing it
does not change the false indication that lpr is
not running on cmn. The lp=<blank> clause can also
be removed without affect.

Also, /etc/hosts.lpd on cmn is:
big.lan.gnu
gq.lan.gnu

I suspect I have not set up some security stuff
correctly, but what is it?

Suggestions? Ideas?

Be aware that I have never done this kind of setup
before, so go ahead and suggest the really "obvious".

TIA

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net