alsaconf problem (alsa-base package not properly installed)

Hi everyone,

I spent some hours trying to figure out why the alsa related modules are not loaded in the kernel when I installed all alsa packages (alsa-base, alsa-utils, ...) without remarkable results. When I try to run alsaconf, it exits with the error-message:

"alsaconf
modinfo: snd: no module by that name found
modinfo: snd: no module by that name found
modinfo: snd: no module by that name found
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: (none loaded).
Building card database...
No card database. Aborting.
"
I haven't found any traces of alsa modules in the kernel although I followed the steps described on the alsa-project.com website.

Could someone give me a hand with this or had similar experience? I have 2.4.27-1-386 kernel version, unstable release and I should use the snd-intel8x0 module for my sound card.

Your help is appreciated,
Balint