Re: Re: HP USB Mass Storage device issue

On 11:47, Sun 27 Feb 05, Anthony Tippett wrote:
> Brady,
>
> When running cfdisk -z  I get the following error:
>

> FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive
>                                  Press any key to exit cfdisk
>
> The only scsi device that hotplug created was /dev/sda  (no other sd?)
>
> version of linux: Linux act 2.6.7-1-k7
>
> I think that the /dev/sda is being created incorrectly but i'm not
> sure.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to install udev because all the
> kernel's above 2.6.7 give me an error when I try to run them and udev
> requires 2.6.8+
>
> Perhaps I should be working on this problem before I start into this one.
>
> btw, here's a listing of my mount, does it look incorrect to anyone?
> /dev/hde2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /media/hda1 type xfs (rw)
> usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> /dev on /.dev type unknown (rw,bind)
> none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=5M,mode=0755)
> nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
>
> <snip>

Are you using the usb tools, like lsusb, which does some of
the same things as seen in proc, but a little more. Are you
see if its listed. Also check for the proper usb modules
listed for your hub, or usb card, maybe its not loading like
it should.

Another thing that might be of interest is what does lspci
say, does it show any unknown devices. What file system does
the drive include, what happens if you create one on the
drive, with the mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda/ this could explain
why you can not see the drive, as there is nothing on the
drive to see, just a thought.

Gnu-Raiz