Re: Re: HP USB Mass Storage device issue

Brady,

When running cfdisk -z  I get the following error:

FATAL ERROR: Cannot open disk drive
                                 Press any key to exit cfdisk

The only scsi device that hotplug created was /dev/sda  (no other sd?)

version of linux: Linux act 2.6.7-1-k7

I think that the /dev/sda is being created incorrectly but i'm not sure. Unfortunately, I have been unable to install udev because all the kernel's above 2.6.7 give me an error when I try to run them and udev requires 2.6.8+

Perhaps I should be working on this problem before I start into this one.

btw, here's a listing of my mount, does it look incorrect to anyone?
/dev/hde2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /media/hda1 type xfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev on /.dev type unknown (rw,bind)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=5M,mode=0755)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

________________________ end transmission

I'm having issues trying to partition/mount an usb device.  The device
is a HP usb digital drive (looks like a small memstick).  If anyone
can help or has suggestions please let me know.

When I insert the device into the usb it is registered with hotplug:

Feb 26 19:15:30 act kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi8,
channel 0 , id 0, lun 0

However, when I try to partition the disk it says "No medium found".

Here's my information from /proc

Try 'cfdisk -z' on it and see what you get.

Barring that, take a look at other drives. Mine have been known to show
up as one thing in the logs and end up somewhere else. They've also been
known to skip devices, so I have sda, sdb, sde, sdf and so forth instead
of having them in order. This varies, so they might end up in order and
they might not.

Try 'fdisk -l /dev/sd?' changing '?' to a letter to designate the
device.

--
Microsoft: The company that made computing dangerous.