Re: Unable to boot

Manudath Gurudatha wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to overwrite the MBR? My Debian machine is
screwed up and it gives an error similar to "L 80 80 80..." while
booting....

try man install-mbr

or maybe man -k mbr

Of course, this only works from within linux, which you might
not have on floppy disk.

I seem to recall that MS-DOS will write a (DOS) master boot record
with fdisk /mbr, so if you have any old DOS diskettes around, you
might try that.

Alternatively, get hold of a knoppix CD.  They have a good reputation
for being good at recovering systems.  They will almost certainly
have install-mbr available as one of the tools.

Regards, Rossc.