Re: Comparing and testing sound daemons.

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 16:04 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:
> I've been having some weird sound problems and I'd like to try an
> alternative sound daemon (on my Debian unstable k7 system).
>
> I'm currently using esound, and I believe that artsd, jackd and alsa
> are
> alternatives to this -- am I right?

Almost

> Are they just drop-in replacements (like sendmail, exim, etc.) for
> each
> other?

No, they are not.

>  Do I just install one of them, see how it works, and try another if
> it doesn't fix the problem?

You are welcome to try.

The problem is, however, not every application works with each daemon.
KDE applications mostly use arts, while Gnome guys use esd.
Some applications such as mplayer, gstreamer, xmms  etc, can use almost
anything.

In your case though, I would first test daemonless solutions, such as
oss or alsa. You can test your sound in any of the above applications
with the right configuration.

If the problem is esd specific, you can switch to the another daemon but
you will loose esd-only applications.

On the other hand, you can also try to use all daemons at the same time
with alsa/dmix solution. google may help you there.

Good luck

--
-aab
http://www.bayazit.net/alphan/