RE: Segmentation fault (df)

Vijaya,

If your concirned that you *may* have been hacked, as it is always a
possibility, I would recommend running Rootkit Hunter (rkhunter) on the box
as well as the other rootkit checks.  You can get it from
http://www.rootkit.nl/ and out of all the rootkit checks I've used, rkhunter
seems to be the best.  Since apt-get install is SegFaulting too... i would
just try and 'wget' it.

Also, you wrote:

 free -m
Mem:           249        246          2         72         19        161
-/+ buffers/cache:         66        183
Swap:          125         37         87

Its always been my understanding that you want your swap to be 2xRAM (up to
4G)..  so you should have 512M of swap....  but, this most likely wouldn't
be causing a SegFault...  just saying.

In the work I do... if we are getting Kernel Panic or SegFault, and software
doesn't seem to be an issue...  we immediately start switching RAM and CPU
to see if that solves it, if not we do the motherboard.  Of course, not
everyone has an inventory department with all the parts they need to do
that.  ;)

BJ