My synaptic (and other) broken with update of sarge

I frequently use synaptic on two systems, running Debian sarge and kernels
2.6.8 and 2.4.26.  I have noticed in recent upgrades/updates of both that the
toolbar now has reappeared in synaptic (there's been some postings on that
problem before) but when trying to install a package which brings up the
window telling me it will install other "depend" packages, closing that
window with either "OK" or "cancel" will completely knock me out of my
session and immediately bring up the kde log-in screen.

Has anyone else found this or is my problem local?  Any workaround?  It limits
usefulness of synaptic greatly.

I've also noticed on a couple other new applications I've been trying out have
the same trouble of either knocking me immediately out of a session or the
application just terminates itself.

Don