Re: How long 'till Sarge->Stable?

Toshiro wrote:

Roughly how long (In years maybe :-P) is it expected to be before Sarge
replaces Woody as 'stable?'

SigmaX

It's real a shame! The distro will be obsolete before it's even released! It's very difficult to convince a new user to use sarge that way.

Toshiro.

The 'new user' to Linux we would put on testing, not stable. The Debian stable model is ideal for servers. Yes, you might end up running Apache 1.3 for two years after Apache 2.0 came out, but you're operating system is rock-solid-stable because for those two years it's only been getting more and more stable and secure. I use Sid on my desktops and have never had a single problem with it, believe it or not. (Well... okay, yesterday I found out Eterm doesn't work on PPC, and installing the unstable nVidia drivers on x86 caused lots of wierd issues... but until then I was bug-free).

But yeah, Sarge is starting to lag behind as it gets frozen and transformed into 'stable,' but the mood seems to be that Sid is also getting 'frozen' in a way, like holding off on Gnome 2.10 and stuff, in preperation for it become 'testing.' So I guess RIGHT NOW Sarge isn't quite up-to-date for the end-user, but this, I say, is a short interlude before Sid becomes testing, and therefore a nice, up-to-date-stable-enough-for-the-end-user system, and Sarge becomes our new server platform.

Anywho, that's just me ranting while I wait for Sarge to download Mono (for XSP). I know, I'm horrible, I rant about how Debian stable is awesome for servers, while I'm setting up testing as a server. Do what I say, not what i do ;-). I actually have Sid setup as a temporary server until I get this one all installed and ready to go. The irony. (& insecurity)
                                  SigmaX

--
Registered Linux Freak #: 366,862

"If you think of MS-DOS as mono, and Windows as stereo, then Linux is Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Sound with Bass Boost and all the music is free."