Re: getting a KDE desktop after install, not Gnome

On Friday 25 February 2005 10:30 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 09:39 am, Pollywog wrote:
> > I installed Debian Sarge using a Netinstall ISO and I had one problem
> > when it was all done.  It is difficult to do a manual package
> > selection, so I just had the installer install the system, I chose
> > "Desktop" from the list  presented by the installer.  When the session
> > manager appeared, it was gdm, so I went to a console and first stopped
> > gdm and then removed (purged) the  gdm package, then installed kdm.  I
> > logged in but much to my surprise, I did  not get KDE but got a Gnome
> > desktop.  I removed Nautilus but continued  getting a Nautilus
> > desktop.  In order to get a KDE desktop, I had to remove a  slew of
> > Gnome packages, not just the "Nautilus" packages.
>
> Remove everything related to Gnome, then install KDE.]

The installer installed both Gnome and KDE, it did not ask which one I wanted.

> > What is the correct way of dealing with this?  Is the only way to do
> > this a manual install (selecting all packages to be installed)?
>
> Selecting all packages just won't work.  Too many packages conflict with
> other packages.  Just don't try it.

I had tried selecting packages in the days before APT, when there was just
tasksel and dselect and dselect did not work well for me.  I think the next
time I install Debian, I will ask the installer for a minimal system and then
use APT to select KDE.  I might avoid installing stuff I won't need.

I have games and I don't think I can get rid of them without damaging KDE.
I am going to try later, but I recall going through this on another machine
and having to leave a few of the games.

8)