getting a KDE desktop after install, not Gnome

I apologize if this post is a duplicate, I did not see it posted after I sent
it the first time.

I installed Debian Sarge using a Netinstall ISO and I had one problem when it
was all done.  It is difficult to do a manual package selection, so I just
had the installer install the system, I chose "Desktop" from the list
presented by the installer.  When the session manager appeared, it was gdm,
so I went to a console and first stopped gdm and then removed (purged) the
gdm package, then installed kdm.  I logged in but much to my surprise, I did
not get KDE but got a Gnome desktop.  I removed Nautilus but continued
getting a Nautilus desktop.  In order to get a KDE desktop, I had to remove a
slew of Gnome packages, not just the "Nautilus" packages.

What is the correct way of dealing with this?  Is the only way to do this a
manual install (selecting all packages to be installed)?

thanks