ld problem

Hi All,
 I just installed latest Debian. Linker ld is not able to find libX11:

damani@damani-pc:/tmp/binutils-2.15/ld$ ld -lX11
ld: cannot find -lX11

On further investigation, it turns out that it cannot find most libs other than those
in /lib/tls .

damani@damani-pc:/tmp/binutils-2.15/ld$ ld -lproc
ld: cannot find -lproc

All these libs are present in /etc/ld.so.cache :

damani@damani-pc:/tmp/binutils-2.15/ld$ ldconfig -p | grep libX11
        libX11.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
        libX11.so (libc6) => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so
damani@damani-pc:/tmp/binutils-2.15/ld$ ldconfig -p | grep proc
        libproc-3.2.5.so (libc6) => /lib/libproc-3.2.5.so

Further confirmation:
damani@damani-pc:~/bin$ ld -L/usr/X11R6/lib/ -lX11
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address

(implies it could find lib X11)

It can find all libs in /lib/tls and some of the other libs.
damani@damani-pc:~$ ld -lrt
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address

I think either ld is not using the cache or there is some binary search error. The cache is kept in the sorted form.

It is version 2.15 .
damani@damani-pc:~$ ld -v
GNU ld version 2.15

Please point me to correct forum if this is not the right one. Thanks,
- Om