Re: MIDI softsynth, was: no audible midi output

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:17:38 +0100
Roman Stöckl-Schmidt <roman@stoeckl-schmidt.de> wrote:

> So I apt-got timidity and freepats, now when I run it in alsa sequencer
> client mode (timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os -q0/0 -k0) as it says in
> README.alsaseq.gz of the timidity docs everything is working just fine.

If you want better sounding midi you can dig into the usage of soundfonts.

Here are some useful links:

http://melodymachine.com/sfark.htm
http://www.personalcopy.com/home.htm
http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/files/readme_cfgp.htm
http://www.hammersound.net/

Keep in mind that if you use something huge like fluid3 there will at times be a significant delay before the midi starts playing while instruments are being loaded, but it does have some nice sound. ;)

Soundfonts in the 20 to 60 MB range seem to work pretty well.

Later, Seeker