Re: Problem with Installation

Uday Chettiar wrote:
Hi,
    I have a Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop with the usual i386
architecture.. I have a single 80 GB harddisk and I have installed winxp
in a 20GB partition and formatted another 40GB partition with NTFS.. Now
I have a 20GB unpartitioned space.. I wanted to install Debian in this
space.. But whenever I try to boot with the Debian CD it first goes to
the "boot:" prompt and when I press enter for the default installation
it shows some messages on screen and freezes. The final three lines are
as follows:
hda: PHILIPS DVD+/-RW DVD8631, ATAPI CDROM drive
hde: WDC WD800JD-75JNAO, ATA DISK drive
ideo at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

It doesn't do anything beyond this.. I also tried booting with a DVD and
CD 2 and CD 3.. But always it freezes at the same point.. Could anyone
please suggest what I should do to circumvent this problem..

Thanks in advance
 UKC

First, are you trying to install Woody or Sarge?  Second, try (and this
is a complete stab in the dark) appending 'acpi=off', 'noapic' or
'ide=reverse' to the end of the kernel command line (without the
quotes).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez