Re: gnome desktop

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 05:37:26PM -0500, disciple@exis.net wrote:
> Hey everyone...  Right now, I just have a basic system.  I've been using
> Windowmaker since I installed debian.  How would I install the gnome
> desktop?
>
> Would the command be:  # apt-get install gnome   ????  In the future, how
> would I know/find the correct command to install the correct software?
> What possible problems could occur when I install gnome?
>
> Thanks for your help...

apt-get install gnome is the correct command. You can find out the names
of packages with apt-cache search <packagename>. apt-cache show <package
name> shows more about each package.

If you want to install software to perform a task, first you need to
find out what the software is called. Google and other users can help
here. you can also apt-cache search for a term. then use apt-cache show
<package name> to check it is the right thing.

Possible problems: depends problems. this is caused by conficts in the
package system. not a problem with woody, far more so with sarge or sid.

hope this helps

Pete