Re: newbie-more questions

Quoting Jon Dowland <jon-dowland@ncl.ac.uk>:

> Andrey Andreev wrote:
>
> > If you want to install some software without using the Debian package
> > system (for whatever reason), you might want to place it under /opt to
> > avoid messing up your system.
>
> Although, /usr/local is not touched by debian packages for precicely
> this purpose, and /usr/local/bin is in the default PATH environment
> variable (unconfirmed, but I'd guess /usr/local/lib was in the default
> search path for dynamic linking, too)

True.  However, large packages that can use their own directory structure
(like the binary distributions from GNOME, KDE, OpenOffice, etc) are usually
better placed in /opt to avoid cluttering /usr/local.  Getting /opt/*/bin
into the default path and /opt/*/lib into the default ld search path is not
hard.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez