Re: getservbyname not working on unstable

Thanks Laurent!

I'd just set up openldap and, following Torsten Landschoff's 'Using LDAP for name resolution' had loaded /dev/null when using migrationtools. I hadn't, however, used his suggseted nsswitch.conf but instead had copied the openldap example.

Best,
Todd

Laurent CARON wrote:
Todd Tyree wrote:

Hello,

Hope this is the right list. Please let me know if it isn't and I'll re-post to the correct one.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this or has a fix. I've got an unstable box with a brand-new installation (done on the 22nd of Feb) where getservbyname just will not work. I discovered it because neither exim4 nor courier-mta would bind to port 25 on start (both lookup 'smtp'--and both were failing. Installed courier-mta because I thought it was a bug in the latest exim4). Courier binds if you change 'smtp' to 25 in /etc/courier/estmpd. Netstat only returns ports--no service names and perl -e "print getservbyname('www', 'tcp')';" reuturns blank.

Kernel is 2.6.8-2-686, but was getting the same thing under 2.6.6-1-i386. /etc/services belongs to root and is world-readable.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Best,
Todd

cat /etc/nsswitch.conf