Re: Need Help W/ DNS Server

Hal Vaughan wrote:
I REALLY need some help with setting up a DNS server on Mepis. I've been working hard on this since Monday, I'm short on sleep, so I really feel like I'm not thinking clearly, but I need to get this (and NIS, which is fubar, too) working as quickly as possible, so I'd really appreciate help with this (since nobody on the Mepis IRC channels or forums seems to know what to do). I've tried other mailing lists, but I'm not getting any suggestions. Please don't hesitate to tell me if I'm missing the obvious, since, at this point, my brain feels like it's mud.

I've been using the Debian reference manuals online, but even when I follow their instructions, it doesn't seem to be enough. I tried using Webmin to set this up, figuring that would ensure the config files were in proper shape, but it didn't help.

I think there are several issues. The first is that everytime I try to start the dns with /etc/init.d/bind9, I get this:

Hal,
Is the Mepis distribution based on Debian? I just jumped over to their site and didn't see (quick look grant you) any references to Debian. If it is not based on the 'Debian way' of doing things, using the Debian reference manuals might some of the problem.

Then again not using Debian might be the problem ;)

--

Have a great day...

John Cichy