Re: Log file problem

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 09:00:01AM -0500, Scott Mohnkern wrote:
> I'm seeing something really strange in my log files /var/log/messages and
> /var/log/syslog files.
>
> Every night, at midnight, they appear to stop logging.  The next morning,
> when syslog restarts, logging resumes.

Probably a log-rotate, it shut's down logging, but starting it is either
forgotten or implemented in-correctly.

Check your logrotate config, and maybe install something like monit
(apt-get install monit) and let it monitor your daemon processes.

--
Mark Janssen -- maniac(at)maniac.nl -- GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ Snow.nl