Re: how to connect to a serial port console

On Monday 21 February 2005 10:46, Mauro Darida wrote:
> A friend of mine has got a single board computer with linux which
> uses a "serial port console at 9600 bits/s". In order to login you
> must "connect a terminal emulator set for 9600 bits/s, N, 8, 1".
> My friend has no linux knowledge but under windows he quickly
> connected to the board.
> I have no idea on how to do such connection under linux. Somewhere I
> read I need (maybe) a "communication program" like seyon or minicom,
> but they all talk about modem connections.
> I am totally confused. Anyone willing to give me a clue on how to set
> under linux a terminal emulator with 9600 bits/s, N,8,1?
> --

We run minicom all the time at work to talk to our single board
computers, which are running linux.

apt-get install minicom

You can either run minicom as root or change the permissions on the
serial port you want to use. e.g., as root, chmod o+rw /dev/ttyS0

After you have started minicom, hit Ctrl-a o to bring up the
configuration menu. Scroll down to 'Serial port setup' and hit enter.
This is where you can enter your settings.

HTH,
Tom