how to connect to a serial port console

A friend of mine has got a single board computer with linux which uses a
"serial port console at 9600 bits/s". In order to login you must "connect a
terminal emulator set for 9600 bits/s, N, 8, 1".
My friend has no linux knowledge but under windows he quickly connected to the
board.
I have no idea on how to do such connection under linux. Somewhere I read I
need (maybe) a "communication program" like seyon or minicom, but they all
talk about modem connections.
I am totally confused. Anyone willing to give me a clue on how to set under
linux a terminal emulator with 9600 bits/s, N,8,1?
--
On this laptop no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.
Successfully Microsoft free since December 2002.