Re: fetchmail problems.

Kelly Harding wrote:
hi,

I've recently started getting strange errors with fetchmail. Obviously
this is meaning I'm not able to download my mail with fetchmail.

I'm running Debian Unstable on a PIII/600, with 256mb ram. All works fine
hardware wise.

Exim 3 is set up as a smarthost server with local delivery. This has
worked fine for a while, so I've not bothered to change to Exim 4, which
when I did experiment with it I couldn't get it to work the way I needed
it too.

I am using fetchmail 6.2.5.

The error in the mail.err log file is:

Feb 21 23:19:07 slayer fetchmail[3064]: SMTP error: 421 slayer
Unexpected failure, please try later - closing connection.
Feb 21 23:19:07 slayer fetchmail[3064]: socket error while fetching from
pop.ntlworld.com

I've checked on NTL's website and there doesn't appear to be at this time
any problems known with the email servers, although planned maintenance is
supposed to happen tomorrow evening.

I'm just at a loss of where to look with this currently.

Not sure what the problem is.  I googled for a few minutes and found
that a 421 error means that the service is not available.  It must mean
that they are having some server issue.  Have you tried contacting their
tech support?

-Robeto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez