Re: hard drive indexing and realtime searching

On Monday 21 February 2005 18:34, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> i think that you are talknig about 'updatedb' (for indexing) and
> 'locate' (for locataing)...

The operate on file names. I have a free program for doing this under Windows
and it work OK but not as nicely and simply as locate.. These do not index or
grep file content.

XP has full indexing available in its find and there are a few freebies around
for other Windows versions as well. However, under Windows, they are quite
obtrusive and render the system unusable so I do not use them. Linux's
multitasking is so much better so such an app may be practical.