hard drive indexing and realtime searching

Dear Debian Users:

I wonder wether there is any projects under way to
give Linux the same type of searching and indexing
features that are going to be availbable with Windows
Longhorn and  Mac OS 10.4? I understand that there is
a db...somthing command that will index the hard drive
now which i ran across some time ago. Unfortunately it
did not seem to work when I issued the command
although it ran somthing all night long. Anyone know
what command this is since I cant seem to find it
again. Also anyone know of any indexing projects?

Thanks,

Steven Anderson