Re: cloning hard disk - /boot

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 03:43:20PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya pigeon
>
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > > 	for those old systems, that doesn't know how to handle disks
> > > 	over 512MB or 138GB ... /boot is required in the first partition
> > > 	which is a violation of "swap being first partition"

> > Surely in respect of the larger limit, the requirement is that "/boot
> > should be within the first 138GB"? I wouldn't have thought a 2 gig
> > swap partition would cause you to violate that :-)
>
> /boot should be in the first 504MB or it'd be useless for the purposes
> of having a separate /boot partition

OK, I'm getting puzzled here... AIUI the purpose of a separate /boot
partition is to make it possible to load the kernel under the control
of an old BIOS that only knows how to access part of the disk. A BIOS
that can't do LBA will be limited to the first half gig. The higher
limit would apply to a BIOS that can do LBA but only with an
insufficient number of bits.

It seems to me that you're saying that a BIOS which is limited by the
number of bits it can handle for LBA, when presented with a larger
disk than it can handle, acts as if it's limited by not being able to
do LBA at all. I can't see why this would be the case. Or have I got
hold of the wrong end of the stick?

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons