Re: cloning hard disk

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:19:56PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> partition preferences is like politics and religion ..

:-)

> 	- there is no right answer and worst still "first partition"
> 	being swap is an extreme bad idea because, "track 0" is the
> 	largest track and holds the most amt of data per disk rotation

Surely that's the whole point. The outside tracks hold the most data
so the smallest number of head seeks is required. Having to seek the
head is generally slower than waiting for the right part of the track
to come round.

> 	for those old systems, that doesn't know how to handle disks
> 	over 512MB or 138GB ... /boot is required in the first partition
> 	which is a violation of "swap being first partition"

You don't often come across systems that can't handle disks over half
a gig these days :-) I think the last time I came across one of those
it was a 486.

Surely in respect of the larger limit, the requirement is that "/boot
should be within the first 138GB"? I wouldn't have thought a 2 gig
swap partition would cause you to violate that :-)

> > My understanding has been that the first partition has to be the boot
> > partition. Am I understanding you correctly, that you are saying that
> > hdx1 would be the swap partition?
>
> /boot as a partition is NOT required on newer bios that knows
> about large disks ( over 138GB )  ( whatever that magic numer was )

I think the system in question is of such an age and configuration
that the 512MB limit is way behind it, and the 138GB limit is
something it hasn't got to yet :-)

> /boot directory is NOT needed if you boot offf of floppy or
> some other boot media ( cdrom, cf, network, ... )

It's handy to have a /boot directory, though, and some tools seem to
need fiddling with to tell them where to find files they would
normally look for in /boot...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons