Re: OT: tax filing from a Linux system

<cbroult@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>I had been using Turbo Tax in the past from a Windows PC. Now
>>> since I only have my Debian Linux system and Turbo Tax for the
>>> Web does not support Linux, I am wondering which vendors people
>>> on the list have been using.
>>
>> Unless something's changed this year, TurboTax on the web works
>> just fine with Linux.  I've used it the last several years without
>> any difficulty.  It may not support all _browsers_; I've used
>> Netscape in the past.  My bank, by the way, claims not to support
>> Mozilla-Firefox for billpaying, but if I use the User Agent
>> Switcher to make Firefox appear to be Netscape, it works just
>> fine.  Maybe the same will prove to be the case with TurboTax.
>
>I used to have a problem with a (sort of) bank's site not supporting
>Mozilla (though this was a long time ago) because of broken user
> agnet chacking. I called/emailed/pestered them and convinced
> several of my friends who were also customers (though not Mozilla)
> to call and complain as well.
>
>When enough people call and complained they decided that it was in
> their best interests to take the extra few minutes and support the
> extra browsers.
>
>-Roberto

I had a similar problem just yesterday.  Seems my banks webmaster had
redesigned the front page (and IMO screwed it up) and had included a
browser check which rejected linux-mozilla.

As I have a 5 digits in a checking account, and do most of my bill
paying via that bill pay functions they have, I wasn't in a mood to
take no for an answer when I called them on the telly about it.
Heck, I'd been doing this since they started and I was running an
amiga useing aweb or Ibrowse as the browser. We discussed the
webmasters blood lines at some length, then got down to business, the
business being that that 16 year old account could be moved to some
friendlier institution if it wasn't fixed.  I wound up talking to 2
or 3 other people who are also running the windows firefox themselves
and weren't having any trouble, one of which must have been fairly
far up the ladder, so they DO know about firefox & mozilla by now.

They finally gave me a new bookmark that leads directly to the login
page, bypassing all that BS, something they had recommended against
in times past.  And I'm back in business.  I did offer to carve a
special hard maple clue stick to use on the webmaster, just enough to
knock the M$ centric attitide out of him.  They thought it was funny,
but I was serious, I have a wood lathe and some maple I could spare.

I think the only way to get their attention is to yelp, and escalate
it up the ladder into the managerial branches of the tree to make
your displeasure with their 'discrimination' known.  It doesn't make
any diff if its your bank, turbotax, h&r block or your brother in law
to me, if its wrong, let them know.  In whatever language they
understand...

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)