changing ip address

Hello All:

I am trying to change the IP address on a debian
system. I am unsin Debian and this is the first time
I've installed a linux system. I used the default ip
address on the installation disk and now want to
change it to my ip for testing. Either there isn't an
explanation or I am missing it in the Debian
installation documents. I have found the following
instructions (below in quotes).

Is this the easiest and best way to change an IP
address?

"The process of readdressing for the new network
involves three steps. It is clear in Example 1.5, that
morgan is configured for a different network than the
main office desktop network. First, the active
interface must be brought down, then a new address
must be configured on the interface and brought up,
and finally a new default route must be added. If the
networking configuration is correct and the process is
successful, the machine should be able to connect to
local and non-local destinations. "

Thanks,

Jesse