i've grubbed up a machine

I'm running a relatively recent sarge (upgraded fully within the last month - it had been woody for a few years prior)

I thought I'd use grub instead of lilo (because I'm trying to figure out some of the more advanced features and took a reboot opportunity to install it prior to doing any more new kernels).

Unfortunately I have a large hard disk with a single partition, and didn't read carefully enough before proceeding.

After "apt-get install grub; grub-install /dev/hda ; update-grub" I thought I'd be fine (having done this sequence on several other machines over the last few weeks). But when I rebooted I got "grub Error 18" which I've learned means that grub doesn't like it when there's no support in the BIOS for the large drive.

The way my disk is partitioned, hda1 is a small swap partition (which I could presumably steal some space from in order to make a new boot partition) and hda2 has many Gigs mounted @ / (or it should if I could boot)

So I thought I'd re-run lilo (from a rescue CD), but I made a mistake there too. Thinking I had a "salvare" CD in (debian-based) I mounted hda2 and then chrooted into it (but didn't mount /proc or anything, so it still had info from the boot cd there I presume (or none at all?) -- i'm not actually sure how relevant that is).

The rescue CD I actually had in was Trinity (1.1 build98 i think?) which looks to be Redhat based.

After running lilo from my chroot (which seemed to find my 6 or so kernels in boot properly just as update-grub had previously) I now get a kernel panic on reboot. (seems to be looking for a reiser file-system somewhere and dying, don't know what that's about) Maybe there was an issue with mismatched lilo versions, maybe it was something else. I'll transcribe the messages that appear on the screen prior to the kernel panic (doesn't matter which of the kernels I try, they all seem to die at about the same place) if anyone needs it (it seems this post is long enough already though).

I haven't actually changed any info in the partition table (just the MBR) with any of this (or at least I'm pretty certain that my hda1 (swap) and hda2 (ext3) are still fine, as I can still mount hda2 when I boot from a rescue CD).

My question is, what is the safest way to proceed with repairing things (I'd actually be happy to go back to lilo if that's safer, but I'm not against splitting a small boot partition our of swap space and getting grub to work properly). But I thought that in addition to trying to investigate my options on my own, that since there're potential downsides that I don't want to contemplate (lots of unbacked-up data on hda2 that i'd prefer not to lose), it seemed worth asking some experts.

	thanks so much in advance for your time,
		~c

of course pointers to relevant docs are just as appreciated as straightforward advice (if i'd read more before starting I obviously wouldn't be in this quandry)