CTAN font packages & debian TeX

Hello TeXperts

I've been attempting to add (CTAN) fonts packages to my TeX installation,
meticulously following the advice given in
		  http://www.ctan.org/installationadvice

I actually downloaded and unpacked the brushscript font which I don't want,
just so I could follow the instructions to the letter.

Basically, I made did this:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/

Copied the brushscr.tar.gz there and untarred it.

Cd'ed there and did

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/brushscr
sudo cp *.tfm /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/brushscr

sudo mkdir   /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/vf/public/brushscr
sudo cp *.vf /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/vf/public/brushscr
mkdir /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/brushscr

sudo cp *.fd  /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/brushscr
sudo cp *.sty /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/brushscr

sudo mkdir    /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/type1/brushscr
sudo cp *.pfa /usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/type1/brushscr

sudo mkdir /usr/local/share/texmf/dvips/config
sudo cp /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps /usr/share/texmf.local/dvips/config/config.ps

Finally I did
sudo cp pbsi.map /usr/local/share/texmf/dvips/config

Having installed the files, I edited the config files as per the advice,
including /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

I added a new line
TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

and ran sudo texhash, and got a positive sounding message showing lots of
ls-R creations.

Then I ran latex on the sample brushscript.tex files, only to find that
none of it worked. Dvips on the .dvi indicated that cmr would be used.
The fancy font in the test.png pic was Times.

Actually the whole effort only served to disable my tetex-bin tetex-base
installation. I then spend an hour manually wiping out directories
and config files. Each time I tried to apt-get install --reinstall, it
wouldn't work.

Something is missing in all this. I recognise that TeX is amazing. I am
grateful to be able to stand the shoulders of the giants who have created
all this. But I also don't wish to be restricted to the packages available
in debian, excellent though they may be.

What do the debian TeX experts do?

Nick
--
(o o)