VJ Decompression Error

Hi World!!

The authoratitive answer is here by Clifford Kite:
http://groups.google.com.au/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=d1efdfcc.0312071310.75cb1e3e%40posting.google.com&rnum=7&prev=/groups%3Fas_epq%3DVJ%2520decompression%2520error%26safe%3Dimages%26as_scoring%3Dd%26lr%3D%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den

In case that link doesn't work, it says this:
hugo vanwoerkom <hugovanwoerkomqt@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I switched ISP's and the first message that shows up in syslog is:
> Dec  4 18:45:29 debian kernel: PPP: VJ decompression error
> I googled around and saw Clifford Kite replying about an identical
> error back in July in this group.
> It is a fact that the error is on the ISP side because I ran with
> Prodigy México for more than 2 years and never had it. Now I switched
> to AT&T México and I get it. (For the record: linux-2.4.22 kernel,
> ppp-2.4.2, Debian Sarge distro)

AT&T is probably using ASCEND connection hosts.  At least the two ISPs
that I've had/have that don't do VJ connection-ID compression correctly
used/use ASCEND.

> I added novjccomp to the PPP options as Clifford then suggested, but
> that does not do away with the problem on the ISP side. (I have yet to
> see if it does away with the log messages)

It will stop the messages and speed up downloads.

> Is the only solution *talking* to the ISP? I mean, my chances at
> success with such a technical issue are almost nil, given where we
> are...

Resistance is futile.  They are not going to listen to a lowly customer.

(BTW, James Carlson was the first to post this solution to the problem.)

--
Clifford Kite

Post is more than a year old, but apparently still true.
Add novjccomp to /etc/ppp/options

Hugo