installing kernel 2.6 on woody

Hi,

Please forgive a newbie question, I'm an old unix hand, but new to Debian, so some of the installation things are puzzling me.

I just installed woody, but I need a kernel newer than the 2.4.18 one that it includes, because I have large hard disks >137GB. So I figured I'd just go with the 2.6.8 one that's in Sarge ... specifically the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-686-smp one, because I have a pentium 4 with HT. But apt-get is complaining that I don't have a new enough version of initrd-tools and module-init-tools. Is this as simple as just having apt-get install the newer ones of those (from Sarge)? ... unless those cause other dependency issues.

I'm just a little reluctant to just hack away at pushing new versions of things on there without being sure I know what I'm doing.

Thanks!

-Andy