Re: Kernel panic: VFS

David a écrit :

I switched off my laptop after a long day of work. Next day, when I tried to turn it on, Linux could not be started. These are the messages that I have when starts:

<code>

VFS: Can’t find ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,4)

FAT: bogus logical sector size 56904

VFS: Can’t find a valid FAT filesystem on dev 03:04

Unable to identify CD-ROM format

FAT: bogus logical sector size 56904

(...)

pivot_root: No such file or directory

/sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: No such file

Kernel panic: Attempted to killed init!

</code>

I don’t understand why this is happening: I didn’t install any new program on the previous session. I didn’t change anything in the config files or move files either. When I turn the laptop on the LILO menu comes up as usual. I have also Windows 98 installed. I don’t have any problems to start Windows, however.

I tried to use the ‘rescue’ mode in the Debian CD. I also passed as parameter root=/dev/hda4. It didn’t work though; this is the output:

<code>

Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4
apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags
apm: disable on user request (?)
request-module [block-major-58] Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device 3a:05
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:05

</code>

As a way around, I tried to use the Intallation CD, option ‘Mount an Existing Partition’, I selected /dev/hda4 from a list of choices, and this was the response:

“Mount Failed: No such file or directory”.

I have been using long time a kernel 2.4.26. The base system’s been updated to ‘testing’, but never had problems. I searched on the Internet/Debian mailing for similar problem, but none of the results had common circumstances.

I suppose it’s not a problem with the kernel, because I’d have been able to boot with ‘rescue’. I have no clue what the problem can be. I’d much appreciate any hint or thoughts from anyone.

Thanks a ton.

David.

*Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com*

installed a broken udev?

corrupt filesystem?

--

23:56 :q fille q effqce pqr erreur le fichier /bin/loqdkeys< Je n4qi
      rien trouve dqns lq poubelle< Aui pourrqit ;e ;qiler son