pppd difficulties

Hello,

This newbie is having difficulty setting up dial-up networking on Linux on
my HP 712/60 box.
My version info is "Linux hp5 2.4.17-32 #1 Sat Mar 16 17:09:00  CST 2002
parisc unknown".
pppd, pppdconfig are loaded. I ran through the pppconfig and it seemed
simple enough.

If I echo an atdt string to /dev/ttyS0 the modem promptly dials so the
serial port and modem both work.
I try pon or pon provider and I get a prompt and nothing else.

top -n 1 -b shows pppd loaded. top issued a few seconds later shows pppd no
longer running.
pppd issued at the prompt shows what looks like packets trying to be sent to
stdout.

pppd /dev/ttyS0 57600 loads pppd which still does nothing. Issuing pon at
this point also results in nothing happening.

All of these commands were issued whiled logged onto the box as root and
again as administrator. administrator is not listed as a banned login in the
pppd options file.

The modem in question is a 56k and connected to ttyS0 via a 3 wire cable
which is why I enabled xon/xoff flow control and commented the modem option.
Right now I'm just trying to get this box to dial out. Since this is 2.4 I
understand I should use iptables for nat and firewall which will be another
challenge I'm sure.

pap-secrets is as follows:

# INBOUND
*       hp5     ""      *
guest   hp5     "*"     -
master  hp5     "*"     -
#root   hp5     "*"     -
support hp5     "*"     -
stats   hp5     "*"     -

#OUTBOUND

# Here you should add your userid password to connect to your providers via
# PAP. The * means that the password is to be used for ANY host you connect
# to. Thus you do not have to worry about the foreign machine name. Just
# replace password with your password.
# If you have different providers with different passwords then you better
# remove the following line.

ispusername provider realpass
---

Of course ispusername and realpass are my username and pass for my Internet
Service Provider

Removing comments from the options file leaves me with:
ms-dns 192.168.1.2
disconnect "chat -- \d+++\d\c OK ath0 OK"
asyncmap 0
noauth
xonxoff
lock
hide-password
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx
---

I'm sure there's a simple config answer to this.

Thank you for any assistance offered.
--
Larry