xmms difficulties

Title: xmms difficulties

I'm trying to use XMMS to listen to music, but the only way it makes sounds is if I launch it as root and use
aoss xmms

If I launch xmms as root it tells me /dev/dsp doesn't exist

If I launch xmms as a user it tells me
Message: fmt 5, channels: 2

And nothing happens, it doesn't even try to play... same behavior if I run aoss xmms as a user

Maybe I'm just screwed up in sound in general... I run Gnome, but I still launch kmix after a kernel recompile or other such thing which shuts off my sound to turn it back on... but it seems to work pretty well for me over all with the exception of XMMS (though I don't use sound alot, so maybe I'm just not noticing)