Re: mozilla and mozilla-thunderbird wont start

On 02/17/2005 05:40 PM, Michael Friendly wrote:
Running debian unstable

Several weeks ago I tried to upgrade GNOME to the latest
version, 2.8.  Since then I have been unable to
use most web browsers, and cant easily read my email
there (except with pine).

Specifically:

- mozilla (/usr/bin/mozilla and the upgraded /usr/bin/mozilla-1.7.5)
will not start from the Applications menu or the command line -- nothing
happens; no messages.   I've tried removing and re-installing, as
was suggested to me.

- I installed mozilla-thunderbird (v. 1.0-3).  It also fails to
start from the menu; from the command line,

% mozilla-thunderbird
selected locale: en-US
Xlib: connection to "0:0" refused by server
Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client

Following suggestions in earlier threads, I tried removing all
mozilla-related packages.  At the risk of generating a flame,
I'll include my transcript in case anyone can help.  I'm just a
simple user, so I'm not sure what some of the errors mean, or what
to do about them. There seem to be some broken packages or configuration files, but I'm not sure how to correct them.
I'd appreciate any help.

------ mozuninstall.txt --------
euclid: ~ # apt-get remove --purge mozilla
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  mozilla*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 574 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 24.6kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 118090 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mozilla ...

euclid: ~ # apt-get remove --purge mozilla-browser
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  galeon* galeon-common* mozilla-browser* mozilla-mailnews* mozilla-psm*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 574 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 47.8MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 118089 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mozilla-psm ...
Updating mozilla chrome registry...done.
Purging configuration files for mozilla-psm ...
Updating mozilla chrome registry...done.
Removing mozilla-mailnews ...
Updating mozilla chrome registry...done.
Purging configuration files for mozilla-mailnews ...
Updating mozilla chrome registry...done.
Removing galeon-common ...
rm: cannot remove `/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/galeon': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing galeon-common (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: galeon: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
 galeon-common depends on galeon (= 1.3.19-1).
Removing galeon ...
Removing mozilla-browser ...
dpkg - warning: while removing mozilla-browser, directory `/etc/mozilla' not empty so not removed. dpkg - warning: while removing mozilla-browser, directory `/var/lib/mozilla' not empty so not removed. dpkg - warning: while removing mozilla-browser, directory `/usr/lib/mozilla/chrome' not empty so not removed. dpkg - warning: while removing mozilla-browser, directory `/usr/lib/mozilla/components' not empty so not removed.
Purging configuration files for mozilla-browser ...
 galeon-common

# apt-get remove --purge mozilla-firefox
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
galeon-common: Depends: galeon (= 1.3.19-1) but it is not going to be installed mozilla-firefox-gnome-support: Depends: mozilla-firefox (= 1.0+dfsg.1-2) but it is not going to be installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

euclid: ~ # apt-get remove --purge mozilla-thunderbird
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
galeon-common: Depends: galeon (= 1.3.19-1) but it is not going to be installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

### OK, so I try to remove galeon-common first, then remove firefox

euclid: ~ # apt-get remove --purge galeon-common
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  galeon-common*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 574 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 8094kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 117489 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing galeon-common ...
Purging configuration files for galeon-common ...

euclid: ~ # apt-get remove --purge mozilla-firefox
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome* gnome-desktop-environment* mozilla-firefox*
  mozilla-firefox-gnome-support*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 574 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 27.3MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

### but now apt-get wants to remove gnome* etc., so I bail out here,
### cause surely I won't be able to get any work done...
### Should I just let it and then reinstall gnome?

Hi Michael,

I'm also just 'a simple user,' so take that to heart with what I suggest. :)

I've found that aptitude (apt-get install aptitude) is a far more comprehensive, and *comprehensible*, tool for debian package management. Running aptitude with the visual interface (from a user prompt, not root) will allow you to simply see what's happening with your system as you try out various "what if" scenarios. It will also quickly show you what the dependencies are that may affect your choices.

So for your current situation:
1) # apt-get install aptitude
2) $ aptitude
3) (Pull down menu) Search, Find Broken
--- or just 'b' from keyboard
4) a "beep" will indicate all's well, otherwise, you'll get useful info on the problems.

Help is available within aptitude itself. You'll do no damage from the user prompt, aptitude will ask you to become root before it changes anything.

As you choose to purge a package, aptitude will instantly show you any dependency problems.

Also, mozilla-firefox-gnome-support is not needed for firefox in gnome, launch aptitude and view the package description.

Have fun!

Ralph